Search This Blog

Friday, February 19, 2010

carrots: tigress can jam




This month is carrots. I found a recipe a year ago that I have been wanting to try so I am excited by the challenge forcing me to do it.

I am making Carrot Cake Jam

Yes you heard me correct carrot cake in a jar.

First thing, and hardest thing is to find a vegetable peeler. I don't usually peel anything so where could it be. I never did find one but I went to my neighbors and borrowed one. It is 7p.m. and they already think I am nuts but I have a peeler.

I add all the main ingredients to the pan it smells like I am baking a cake instead of canning jam.
I bring to a boil and then let everything simmer for 20 mins. I had to do it longer because my carrots were still tough.
Next add liquid pectin--boil 1 min

Then add sugar


A lot of sugar. Where did the jam go? I'll give it a stir.


Keep stirring. . . . . . . . . . Oh there it is! I found it!


Bring it to a hard boil and let it boil for 1 minute. Then fill the Jars
10 min process in BWB

  
Carrot Cake Jam
makes 6 1/2 pints

1 1/2c. shredded carrots
1 1/2 c. diced pears
1 (14oz) can crushed pineapples, undrained
3 T. lemon juice
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. nutmeg
1/2 t. clove
1 pouch liquid pectin
6 1/2 c. sugar




  1. Add all ingredients to pan except pectin and sugar.  Bring to a boil and then simmer for 20 mins.

  2. add pectin and bring to a boil

  3. add sugar and bring to a hard boil for 1 minute

  4. fill hot sterilized jars 

  5. process for 10 minutes 

I enjoyed this recipe although I think it has to much sugar.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also made carrot cake jam and absolutely love it! I used only 3 cups of sugar instead of 6 1/2, and still thought I would use less next time.